To promote understanding and appreciation of Steel Drum Music as an aspect of the Caribbean cultural music tradition and to demonstrate its use as a modality for student musical education and positive youth development including team work, self-discipline, time management, and leadership skills.
Collective Experience Summary
- Brokered all services that support the expansion and adoption of the “Steel Pan” culture in an international context including linkages to instructors, performers, performance venues, and producers of high quality instruments for 16 years.
- Produced, directed, and managed artists in the entertainment industry specializing in Afro-Caribbean genre for more than 25 years.
- Performed and recorded on steel drums and percussion in various venues including vacation resort hotels, night clubs, concert halls, television and film for more than 35 years
Produced and directed Caribbean reviews with casts of musicians, singers, dancers and fire-eaters with managerial responsibility for:
- Recruiting band members and arrangers, tuning and instrument procurement
- Serving as Master of Ceremony for performances
- Directing and coordinating logistics for all acts in Caribbean review shows
- Negotiating contracts and sub-contracts
- Advertising and publicity in print and electronic media
Managed, Directed and Performed: Orchestras and Reviews
- Steel Plus Caribbean Review ( 1990-1995), Hollywood, California
- Caribbean Review (1980-1990), Los Angeles, California
- Montego Magic Steel Orchestra (1976-1979), Los Angeles, California
- Attractions Steelband Ensemble (1974-1976) Bermuda
- Real Thing Steelband (1971-1973), Bermuda
- Produced Caribbean segment for World Hunger Project (1980). Other featured artists included Melissa Manchester, Harvey Korman, Bud Cort, Jeff and Beau Bridges and the Carradine brothers.
- Produced Caribbean segment for the Anti-Nuclear Concert (1980). Other featured artists included Joan Baes and Jackson Browne.
- Produced Caribbean segment for Jerry Lewis Telethon (1978)
- Technical Director for steelband performance in the Paramount Studios film Washington Behind Closed Doors (1977)